Greater Zion Hill

2656 Napier Avenue
Macon, Georgia 31204
478-746-2389
Rev. Dr. Walter L. Glover, Jr.
Pastor
 

Church Campus

Building A - Sanctuary

Building B - Administration
and
First Step Learning Center
1101 Courtland Avenue, Macon, Georgia 31204
Angela Edmonds, Director
Phone: (478) 743-8840 

Building C - Glover-Lockett Fellowship Hall
Building D - Education

 

Community Service

Food Ministry
 feeds the
Homeless and Hungry
every Wednesday, 11:00 a.m.
until 1:00 p.m. in the
Sadie Clarington Social Hall

Crisis Closet
Clothes to the Homeless every
Wednesday, 11:00 a.m.
until 1:00 p.m. in
the Education Building

 

 

Recent Events:

Summer Camp

About Greater Zion Hill Baptist Church

 

  • Born July 1929 - 29 Members
  • First church building built on Bay Street, October 1951
  • Cornerstone laid June 29, 1952
  • Temporarily relocated because of Urban Renewal a private residence (Deacon and Sister Hubert Thompson and Beulahland Baptist Church - October 1961 until 1966
  • Merged with St. James Baptist Church in East Macon and renamed Greater Zion Hill Baptist Church
  • Urban Renewal forced another relocation to 757 Liberty Street on March 11, 1967

Pastors of Greater Zion Hill from 1929 - 1975 are the Reverends:

Middlebrooks, Golston, McKibben, A. W. Walker, W.A. James, Johnny Lockett and Timothy Fleming

  • Reverend Dr. Walter Glover, Jr., called to pastor Greater Zion Hill in August 1975
  • Greater Zion Hill relocated to 3015 Churchill Street by Motorcade on April 13, 1980

For over 22 years this church family worshiped at the Churchill Street location. Under Dr. Glover's able and efficient leadership the Tithing System was initiated, a standard order of worship was put into place; the Sunday School Teachers Ministry; Crisis Support Ministry and Community Outreach Ministry were added to a growing number of ministries and committees; a day care center and early learning center existed; and an office was constructed for our First Lady. The parsonage located adjacent to the church and the vacant lot on the opposite side were purchased.

During Reverend Glover's administration, the following men received license to preach: Ministers Carlton E. Stephens, Charles Gibson, Alvin Glover and Charles Jones.

Others who were licensed to preach by Reverend Glover are: Ministers Leon Palmer, Governor Gibson, Vernon Davis, Arletta G. Brown, Mildred Endsley, Lisa Watson and Leon Hutchings.

On Sunday, May 26, 2002 a procession led by Reverend Dr. Glover and his wife Dr. Beverly Glover marched from the old site at Churchill Street to the current location at 2656 Napier Avenue, Macon, Georgia.

We, the members of Greater Zion Hill Baptist Church are grateful for what God has allowed us to do in years past. We look to the Heavenly Father and say, "Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through Jesus Christ our Lord.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Welcome
Welcome
first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
Welcome

 

 
"The Church Where Everybody is Somebody and Christ is All"
Bookmark and Share